Monday, August 17, 2009

Some of my favorite healthy recipes......

I thought I'd share some of my go-to recipes for keeping my stomach happy on this weight loss journey! All of these recipes make 1 serving unless otherwise specified. Most are my own creations, or else something that I found on WW and revamped to make them my own.

Sweet and Spicy Chicken (6 WW points per serving)
(this is my all time favorite and I eat it at least twice a week if not more)

4 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
1 TBSP soy sauce
1/2 tsp canola oil
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced raw carrot
2 TBSP brown sugar

Cut chicken breast into bite sized pieces. Put in covered bowl with soy sauce and toss to coat, set aside. Heat canola oil in small (#3) cast iron skillet. Add chicken and saute till done. Meanwhile in smallish saucepan add salsa, onion, carrot, and brown sugar and heat over medium heat till bubbly, then reduce heat to simmer until chicken is done. Add chicken into saucepan and stir to combine, simmer for about 1 minute just to blend flavors.

I eat this with 2 oz of whole wheat spaghetti noodles. It is also good with rice or potatoes, depending on your mood!

Chavarti Potato Salad (9 WW points per serving)

This is one that I concocted myself and it's really quite yummy as well!

1 cup raw potatoes, diced but not peeled
4 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 tsp canola oil
1 oz havarti cheese
2 TBSP chives
2 tsp minced garlic
1TBSP miracle whip (I use generic!)

Boil potatoes in salted water til done but not mushy. Drain. Add chunked Havarti cheese and cover to let cheese soften a bit. Heat canola oil in cast iron skillet (#3) and add the garlic, saute till browned. Add diced chicken breast, saute till done, add chives and saute till bright green (this happens very quickly). Add warm chicken to potatoes/cheese mixture. Add a couple grinds of sea salt and pepper and the miracle whip. Stir well. Serve warm or cold. I like it warm! Yummy yummy yummy!

Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast (6 points per serving)
This is a bit more of an involved recipe but for sure worth it!

4 oz boneless skinless chicken breast (more of a cutlet)
1 tsp canola oil (divided into 1/2 tsp each)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
2 TBSP blue cheese crumbles
1/4 tsp lemon juice

Microwave spinach in glass measuring cup till just heated. Stir in lemon juice, blue cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Pound chicken breast thin (very thin), put spinach mixture in middle of breast, roll up and secure with toothpicks. Grate fresh salt and pepper over. Heat 1/2 tsp of canola oil in medium cast iron skillet (#8) saute onion till golden. Add remaining canola oil and sear chicken till golden brown on all sides, turning to do so. Then cover with a lid and reduce heat, cooking until it reaches a temp of 165 in the middle. Serve with brown rice and california style veggies! This is sooooo very very good!

Blue Cheese Chicken Burgers (6 WW points per burger, including the bread or bun)
These are my daughter's favorite thing! This was a WW recipe that I corrupted into my own.

4 oz boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into large chunks)
4 saltine crackers
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup sliced onion
2 TBSP bbq sauce (any flavor, I use Sweet Baby Ray's chipotle)
1 TBSP blue cheese crumbles
1 tsp canola oil

In your food processor with the multipurpose blade in, add chicken, crackers, garlic, and onion. Pulse until chicken is ground and well mixed with the other ingredients. Remove from food processor bowl and add in the bbq sauce and the blue cheese crumbles, mixing well with a spatula. Shape into a patty (it will be a very large patty!). Heat oil in your trusty cast iron skillet and cook patty until done, flipping once. Once again, making sure that it reaches 165 degrees in the center. Serve with lettuce, tomato, onion, or whatever your favorite fixins on either one slice of whole grain bread, cut in half, or a mixed grain hamburger roll. (Depending on your toppings and choice of bread, this can affect your points) These are so good and my daughter likes them almost better than hamburgers! If you don't have a way to do these in your food processor, just use ground chicken and mix the other stuff in my hand.

Finally we have.........

Chicken Salsa Slaw (5 WW points per serving.....the recipe makes 2 servings)

1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup green cabbage, shredded
1 apple, cored, sliced, and diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
4 oz roasted white meat chicken, pulled and shredded
3 TBSP miracle whip (once again, I use generic)
1 cup salsa
2 tsp minced garlic

Toss first five ingredients together in large bowl. In small bowl, mix miracle whip, salsa, and garlic together well. Add to cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Chill and serve. This is so delicious!!

That's it for now! Hope you try some of these and enjoy them as much as I do. They are wonderful even if you aren't trying to lose weight!

Till next time..............I'll be unTHICKIN and soTHINNIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!