Saturday, January 30, 2010
Till next time..................GOD BLESS FROM GOODWIFE FARM!
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
From the time I was a little girl, I knew in the depths of my soul that I wanted to be a wife when I grew up. That is all I ever wanted to be, a wife and then a mama and then a wife again. I never wanted to do anything else. I didn't decide to become a homemaker because my daughter was born, or because the job market was down, or because I lost a job or because I'm not smart enough or competitive enough to make it in a "real" career. Being a homemaker was the career path that I chose. When I was little I played house, and I played it hard. I was about 12 or so when I started my hope chest, asking for kitchen tools, crockery bowls, utensils and things for Christmas and birthdays. I would go to yard sales and buy things like glassware and table-cloths. I started doing almost all of the cooking at home when I was around that age as well. As I got older, any boy that I dated knew that marriage and being a homemaker was on my mind (boy did that ever scare some fellas back in the 90's!) I'm a passionate and determined woman. I know what I want and I go after it and that was pretty intimidating to 20 year old boys! There were a couple relationships that I ended after a few weeks because I knew that this wasn't a man I wanted to marry so why waste his or my time?
When I met The Man, we started out as friends. He actually had a girlfriend but it wasn't a good relationship. We talked about everything under the sun. We talked about hopes and dreams, goals, children, parenting styles, anything you can think about we discussed just in the course of our friendship. We had known each other for about a month when he broke things off with his girlfriend and we became inseparable from that moment on. We got married exactly 2 months to the day from our first date. I had just turned 19 years old and The Man was 23. God sent us to each other there isn't a doubt in my mind and He's been right there with us through the past 14 years together.
I did continue working until our daughter was born 2 years later, but I always considered it my "second" job. My first priority was always, and will always be taking care of my home and family. Since the birth of The Youngun, I've had two different part time jobs, both during her school hours and not during the summer. I wasn't happy in either of them, but some really difficult financial times called for some really heavy duty prayer and God provided them for me to get us over the rough patches. Both times, as soon as the rough patch was over God took those jobs away from me. I didn't quit them, I lost them because God knows that home is where I belong. My Heavenly Father knows that being a homemaker is my Divine calling and He knew to take me out of those jobs and put me back in the one that I truly belonged in.
I'm never so happy and content as when I'm hausfrauing it. I don't let anything interfere with my job as Homemaker of Goodwife Farm. I take it as seriously as another woman takes her paying job. That is so hard to explain to people who don't get it. I didn't fall into this gig, I'm not doing it until my daughter is raised, it's not something I do because day care is too expensive. This is my career path, this is my job, it's my calling and I love it. My entire childhood was spent preparing for this job. Those were my college years I guess you would say, the years of getting me prepared to take care of a household.
When I'm trying to explain this to someone, I usually tell them to think of their Great-Great Grandma...........that's me. With apron on, wooden spoon in one hand and a dish towel over my shoulder, I've got my uniform and my tools and that's all I need. I love my life, I don't resent it, I don't want any other. I'm a woman, I'm a wife, I'm a mother, I'm a homemaker, I'm a girl, I'm strong and resilient, passionate, creative, and intelligent. I love my husband and enjoy showing him my love and respect by providing him with a clean house, good food, fresh laundry, and a caring and sympathetic ear.
I'm not about to say that this lifestyle is for everybody, differences are what make the world go round, I just wanted to explain why I do what I do, and let the world know that I do it because I love it! I have no intention of ever entering the "real" work force again. However, should a rough patch arise, I know that God will put me where I need to be at the time, and I'll be content knowing that He'll bring me back home as soon as the rough patch is over!
I haven't even begun to articulate the passion that I feel for this subject.......perhaps I'll have to blog on it again at a later date. As a matter of fact I KNOW that I'll be blogging on it again, cause I got a lot to say on the subject. Suffice it to say that I'm a Housewife and I'm as proud of that as if I were a lawyer, a doctor, a newspaper editor or any other career. I pray that my daughter will have the strength of will to shoot for the moon and never settle for less than her dreams, whatever they may be, because there is no better prescription for happiness than asking God for guidance, knowing what you want and then going out there and getting it! I am living the life that I always envisioned for myself and I'm indescribably thankful to God for such a glorious gift!
Till next time.................GOD BLESS FROM GOODWIFE FARM!
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
I'm also done with Stage 1 of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'll take this week off and then begin Stage 2 next Tuesday. I'm so happy with the first 8 weeks of training that I've done with this program. I can't wait to begin Stage 2 which lasts three weeks.
I really don't have much to report! I hope you are all doing great as well!
Till next time........I'm gettinfitandunTHICKINandleansexyunTHINNIN!
Monday, January 25, 2010
The plan is to put some garden dirt (do I need starting medium or can I just go dig some of my nice rich garden dirt??) in the bottom of the aquarium, put the seeds in, turn ‘er on and let ‘er go! Will they grow? I surely do hope so. I’ll be bloggin’ more about this as the experiment progresses.
Till next time.................GOD BLESS FROM GOODWIFE FARM!
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Monday, January 18, 2010
After I got done baking the roast and settin' it aside to cool I put on my mudboggers and headed out. I wish I'd gotten pictures, but I didn't want to risk getting my camera all slogged up! Nuff to say that it was all The Man could do to push the wheelbarrow through the sticky, gluey mud. We did get both barns cleaned out and the poop slung on the two garden spots. The upper garden is new ground, we just opened it up last year, so it needs all the yummy stuff on it that it can get. The lower garden is much more established and didn't take as much. We didn't get any poop put on either garden last year because the rain just didn't allow. I think that's why hubs decided to just do it this time and to heck with the mud. The poop will sit out there on the garden now until we get a dry enough spell to till it under. Nothing grows better veggies than a nice mix of chicken, rabbit, horse, and goat poop! We also butchered 5 more rabbits on Sunday morning. I've got one in the pressure cooker now for barbecue bunny for The Youngun. The other 4 will go in the freezer for later use.
This morning I got a bit of housework done, stripped our bed and got it remade, dusted, vacuumed and cleaned the ceiling fan in our room. Got the rabbit cooking, I'm going to make whole wheat pita breads, almost apple turnovers and I hope to get some work done on my quilt. I'm within about 4 hours of having it done and I really really want to get finished with it this week. I've been saying that for about 2 months now!
Anyway, I've really got nothin' exciting to report! Hope you are staying warm and dry and aren't drowning in mud!
Till next time.............GOD BLESS FROM GOODWIFE FARM!
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Friday, January 15, 2010
"And I know some shit's so hard to swallow
But I can't just sit back and wallow
In my own sorrow but I know one fact
I'll be one tough act to follow
Nobody asked for life to deal us
With these bullshit hands we're dealt
We gotta take these cards ourselves
And flip 'em, don't expect no help
Now I could've either just sat on my ass
And pissed and moaned
Or take this situation in which I'm placed in
And get up and get my own
And to the rest of the world
God gave you shoes to fit you
So put 'em on and wear 'em
Be yourself man, be proud of who you are
Even if it sounds corny
Don't ever let anyone tell you you ain't beautiful"
Thursday, January 14, 2010
I decided that I'd go for a jog after dropping the Youngun off to school. I haven't jogged in two weeks. As some of you know we workout in our shop, which we lovingly call the Hillbilly Hotel. The Hillbilly Hotel isn't heated. I'm sheltered from the wind, but the temp outside is the temp inside. I kept up with my lifting, by just wearing lots of layers and wearing my heavy chorin' gloves to protect my hands from freezin' to the bar! I wasn't jogging though. My poor treadmill could hardly run in temps that cold.
Why is it that nothing, and I do mean NOTHING works my inner thighs like joggin'? It's a fabulous fabulous burn and I love it! I'm always so proud of myself after completing a 30 minute jog. Why you ask? Well because usually the first 10 minutes I want to quit every stinkin' stride! Then I fall into my groove and I'm feeling pretty good for the next 10. Those last 10 I'm usually chanting to myself Don't Quit, Don't Quit, Don't Quit! LOL! I'm pretty sure I was quite a bit faster today than I was the last time I went. I also got a very nice sweat on! I miss sweating, odd as that may sound, but when you are working out, outside and the temperature is 9 degrees, you just can't sweat!
Today I went into town, instead of out of town. What a difference! I got to smell the garbage trucks (which my hubby always says smell like MONEY since that is his profession), car exhaust, the sickly perfumed smell of dryer vents. Ugh! I much prefer the smell of the creek that I cross, the neighbor's cows, and the line of pines that I jog next too!
Well hope you have a fabulous day as well! Till next time.........I'm unTHICKINandsoTHINNIN!
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
July 7, 2009
Monday, January 11, 2010
Friday, January 8, 2010
Thursday, January 7, 2010
An "A" day consists of
- Bent over dumbbell rows
- Prone jacknife crunches on the swiss ball
On my squats I'm doing 80 lbs for 3 sets of 10 reps;
bent over dumbbell rows I'm doing 30 lbs (again that's a 30 lb dumbbell in each hand) for 3 sets of 10 reps;
3 sets of pushups 10 reps (I'm doing those on our roman bench right now, getting closer to the floor every week!);
35 lbs (35 lb dumbbell in each hand) on my step-ups for 3 sets of 10 reps, and that's 10 reps each leg, do one leg then switch, legs and that's a set;
and doing 3 sets of 12 reps on the jacknife.
Then I go ahead and do my 200 crunches for the crunch challenge on WW. I did take a video of me doing the squats, but it's not the best as I had to do it myself. Will try and get a better one soon, if anybody is interested. I'm gonna be makin' some funny faces, but you squat 80 lbs and see what you look like ;) I think I'll be here for the next few workouts. It's getting pretty heavy and I don't want to lose my form. I'll see how it goes.
Till next time.........I'm unTHICKINandsoTHINNIN!
Till next time.............GOD BLESS FROM GOODWIFE FARM!
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
This evenin' as I was gettin' ready to go feed my critters I decided to feed myself with a 1 ounce hunk of super sharp cheddar cheese. I love super sharp chedder, the sharper and stinkier the better! I was enjoying every creamy tangy bite as I put on my chorin' clothes and headed out the back door. As I was pouring boiling water over my rabbits frozen dishes, I started to think about my hubs and when he used to smoke. When we got married hubby smoked Marlboro Reds in a Box, thank you very much. Not in a soft pack, not Kings, not 100's and certainly not Lights!! After we had been married for a couple months, the price on Marlboro Reds in a Box, thank you very much, went up to the astronomical price of $2.10 a pack! Oh the horror! (Yes I know they are like 5 bucks a pack now) Hubby told me he was quitting, weren't no way he was gonna' pay that for smokes. And just like that he quit.........that was close to 14 years ago and he's never smoked since. His parents urged him not to quit, just to switch brands. Smoke generics they ever so helpfully told him! He said, and I quote "If I can't afford to smoke Marlboro Reds in a box (thank you very much), then I won't smoke a'tall. And by crappy, he hasn't smoked a'tall!
I feel the same way about diet food. Not about the money part, but if I can't afford the points to eat the real stuff (ie, cheese, milk, whathaveyou) then I ain't a gonna' eat it a'tall! I eat full fat cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, whole milk. If I can't have the "good stuff" then I'll just stay away. I don't want to be able to eat MORE, thereby eating imitation everything. Give me real food or give me death, that's what I say!
Till next time.........I'm unTHICKINandsoTHINNIN! and eating full fat dairy products, and NO low-fat, fat-free, sugar-free, subsitute food!
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Homemade Ice Cream
•1 qt plus 3 cups of whole goat's milk
•12 egg yolks (fresh from your own chickens are best)
•2 tsp salt
•3 cups sugar
•1 qt heavy cream (again from your goats if you've got a separator)
•4 TBSP vanilla
Scald milk. Mix egg yolks and salt and beat with fork until thick. Add about 3 cups of scalded milk to egg mixture, beating with fork all the while. Add back into milk in pot. Add sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it coats a spoon. Strain (if you don't strain it will be chunky, I strain mine through my milk strainer). Chill. Add cream and vanilla and freeze in ice cream freezer.
One of our first purchases after getting the goats was a hand crank White Mountain ice cream freezer. You just can't get the rich, smooth, creamy, deliciousness with an electric one. It's pretty nice to sit out on the porch, the husband and I, talking, eating salty ice and taking turns cranking! This ice cream freezes wonderfully well and doesn't get hard as a rock either. You can scoop it out for a yummy bowl anytime. As I said above, a 5 qt bucket usually lasts us about two weeks. You can add pretty much anything you want to it as well. We've made peanut butter malt and strawberry among others. Our top three favorites though are Cookies and Cream, Peanut Butter Cup, and Cookie Dough! Have fun and make your own favorite variety! If you do add stuff in, freeze it until it's almost done before adding it. Otherwise all your "goodie" will settle to the bottom!
Till next time................GOD BLESS FROM GOODWIFE FARM!
Monday, January 4, 2010
- I love my Jesus more than I can even begin to express. I've never once doubted that He is the Son of God, that He walked this earth, and that He died on the cross for all of our sins no matter how undeserving we are. I have unshakable, childlike Faith.
- I love my husband with a passion and intensity that I've been told by more than one woman on more than one occasion isn't healthy. To which I respond......sucks to be you for not loving your man that way. If you don't open yourself up to that kind of love, and vulnerability you are missing a relationship that is indescribable. He is my best friend in the world and there is no one on the planet that I'd rather spend time with. We've been married for almost 14 years and there's never been a day that I was with him and wishing I was somewhere else!
- I will support my little girl in whatever she wants to do with her life. There is nothing that she could do to shake my belief in her and love for her. I tell her that wherever she goes and whatever she does, me and Daddy will be right here. Spread your wings and fly baby!
- I don't like little kids much and really have no love for babies. I mean I loved my baby every second of her life, but now have no desire to hold, cuddle, coo at, feed, nurture or otherwise have anything to do with babies!! Hence the reason that I have only one child! I even "closed the factory down" about 6 years ago to insure that I didn't have any more!
- I cuss...........ALOT! And not just the nice parlor words either. My daughter has a cussin' jar for Mama, and I'm supposed to put 50 cents in it every time I say a cuss word. She has given me a free pass for damn and hell, but let me tell you, there ain't enough quarters in the world......... I tend to cuss like a drunken sailor who's been shanghaied by pirates in the Pacific in a leaky canoe!
- Since we are on the topic of drunkenness, I don't drink and neither does the Hubs. Neither of us have any use whatsoever for alcohol of any kind. Just don't see the point.
- I like to drive......fast.......and squall tires, and cut cookies (that means spin the car around in case you ain't a hillbilly)
- I don't go to church. Not enough room here for me to list all the reasons why. It's enough to say that I don't. The most important thing is listed in No. 1 though, so don't worry about me.
- I've got no sympathy for quitters, whiners, drama queens, or babies. I'm a shit or get off the pot kinda gal. Just do it, don't talk about it, don't discuss it to death, for pete's sake don't WHINE about it.......just.....do..........it! There is nothing that you can't achieve if you want it bad enough, be it a good relationship, a nice house, whatever. If you want it, figure out a way.
- I've broken the law before. I won't list which ones here, suffice it to say that I've got alot of respect for the law..........at least the ones that make sense to me. I am a very MORAL person. Legal does not equal Moral.........and some things that ARE legal are very very immoral. So I pick and choose........sue me.
- I'm very selfish when it comes to friendship.........and I've lost friends over it. Nothing gets in the way of my time with my husband and my daughter. Some women can't handle that, oddly enough, and they like to tell me that I'm obsessed or that I need to get a life of my own. I won't try to explain it all here, it's really more of a face to face sort of discussion. Nuff to say that if you are going to be my friend, it's going to be on my terms. If that ain't good enough for you, then you can get steppin'. If you can't understand that I have no desire to hang out with you when my man is at home.........then you can take a hike. I'll spend time with you while he's at work, but when he is at home, I want to be with him. My man is gone 12-14 hours a day, 5 days a week, we go to bed at 8 pm and get up at 4 am. That gives me 2 hours a day to see him and be with him Monday - Friday. Why in hell would I want to go shopping with you on a Saturday when I could be spending the day with him???
- I like to be by myself. I really don't know how to expound on this one......just that I do like my own company.
- I like really angry music sometimes. Eminem, Rehab, Theory of a Deadman, Saliva, Buckcherry. I also like classic country and hard rock, but when you are having a really bad day, there is nothing like a little Marshall Mathers, or Texas Hippie Coalition to bang your head to! And nothing makes me feel sexier than dirty, sexy lyrics!
- I like purses. It's about the only girly fetish that I have. I have tons of purses and the first thing I look at when I go to Goodwill or Salvation Army is the purses!
- I like to lift weights and be strong. This may be something you already know about me, but I mean it. I want to be strong. Freakishly strong and I want to be muscled up. Not like a steroid chomping lady body builder, but I want people to be able to look at me and go.....wow, she lifts, ya know?
K...........enough of my blabbing. Please do this too........it's pretty fun and cool and neat to learn surprising things about folks!
Till next time........still unTHICKINandsoTHINNIN!
Sunday, January 3, 2010
I'm gonna build ya a squat rack baby! You aren't doubtin' me are ya??
Who me? As if I would ever doubt you?! Just because you HATE building stuff......I'm just sayin is all.
One side done........isn't it just terribly faboo? I know you'd never guess it, but we are flyin' by the seat of our pants! No pattern, just a crazy idea in a crazy man's head! LOL
Drilling the holes for the lag bolts..........
Cuttin' off the bolts cause they are way too long..........hope it doesn't scuff up the Coronet!
And then there's the finished product! I'm testin' er out to be sure it's gonna work. Worked like a charm! Pretty soon I'll have thighs of steel and carrying TWO sacks of feed to the barn won't be a problem!