Thursday, September 10, 2009

Whole Wheat Pitas


I like to make everything that I can from scratch. I don't like to eat processed foods and very much enjoy knowing what is in my food. Today I was interested in making my own pitas, so asearchin I did go! I found a fabulous and very easy whole wheat pita recipe. I plugged it into the recipe builder and they came up as 1 point for 1 pita, or 3 points for 2. I mixed up some imitation crab filling and just ate two pita sandwiches for a delicious, filling, 8 point lunch! Here is the recipe...

Add the following ingredients to bread machine in this order...

•1 1/4 cup warm water
•1 TBSP canola oil
•1 tsp salt
•2 tsp brown sugar
•2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
•1/3 cup vital wheat gluten * you may use whole wheat bread flour and omit the wheat gluten
•1 1/2 tsp yeast
Set bread machine to dough cycle. When cycle is complete remove dough and form into one large ball. Cut that ball into 8 equal pieces (as if you were cutting a pie). Roll each piece into a small ball, then shape into a round and roll out into a 6 or 7inch round that is about as thick as a yardstick.
Cover with a towel and let rest for about 25 minutes or so. Preheat oven to 500*. Place each round on a square of aluminum foil and bake two at a time until bread puffs up and turns slightly golden brown. Don't over bake or the pitas will be tough instead of pliable. After the first two pitas are done, stack on top of each other and cover with a damp towel. Bake the remaining pitas, stack and cover with towel. When all pitas are done, take and cut in half making a total of 16 halves. You now have a lovely piece of delicious pocket bread.


Til next time.....I'm stillunTHICKINandsoTHINNIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!