Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Big Difference This Time......

I've been reflecting on what is different in my weight loss pursuit this time. First of all I'm exercising for the first time. I lost 100 lbs after the birth of my daughter without exercising so much as one mile. I did it basically by starving myself. I just conditioned my body to live on pretty much next to nothing and I lost over 100 lbs in about 4 months. I was 148 lbs for about 5 minutes and then the weight came back with a vengence. All of it.

The other major difference this time is I'm not focusing on losing weight. In all honesty, I could care less what the scale says. That is huge for me because I used to be all wrapped up in the numbers. THIS time, it's about health. I don't just say that to be saying it. It truly is about health for me. I love it that I'm losing pounds. Love it that my pants are looser, my face is thinner, I have more energy and stamina. I love love love that I'm getting stronger every single time I work out. But what I love the most is that for the first time ever in my life, I'm being good to my body. I'm treating it with loving care. I am making food choices based FIRST on what are they going to contribute to the health of my body, than on taste.

Don't get me wrong, I love food. I love to cook and make up new recipes, but if an ingredient has no nutrional value, I really just don't want to put it in my body. The only kind of chips I eat are Sunchips because they are made with whole grain. I eat an ounce of them a maximum of twice a week. I refuse to buy prepackaged "diet" food, low fat, low sugar, because I know that if they take that stuff out, they are replacing it with something that I don't want any part of. This is day 4 (I think) maybe day 5 without aspartame, and I'm glad I quit. It didn't really affect my body, but Chris got me thinking about how it was a chemical and couldn't possibly be good for me, so I quit using it.

Now don't get me wrong, I still like my raisin bran in the mornings, and my sun chips with a sandwich. I haven't gone completely "health nutty" but it's been so much easier for me to give up preprocessed snacks because I'm thinking in terms of my health. When I snack, I want it to contribute something to the nutritional equation. And seriously, now I crave homemade yogurt with bananas and homemade strawberry jam instead of ice cream. Now I want yogurt on my mashed potatoes instead of margarine, and a nice bowl of crisp veggies sauteed in canola oil is fabulous! An apple or orange means more to me than a snickers bar! And working out is more than just torture, it's the maitenence and tune up that my body needs to function.

Til next time..I'm healthilyunTHICKINandsoTHINNIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!