Monday, July 6, 2009

Soap Making......

Today I've been milling soap. That means I'm taking my basic block of soap (that I prepared a few weeks ago) and grating it, adding fresh goat's milk, and remelting it, thereby making a wonderful creamy, rich soap that makes our skin so very soft and silky! The first batch I added cornmeal and lemongrass essential oil. The cornmeal is a wonderful exfoliant (great for scrubbing garden dirt off of the hands) and the lemon scent is very very lovely! The second batch I'm adding wheat germ for a more gentle exfoliant and added skin softening. I love making soap. It makes me feel very good to use my own creation to get clean! I also don't have to deal with the yucky dryness that so many of us gals have to deal with on our arms and legs. I use my soap for shaving my legs and pits as well (not that you want to know about my hygeine practices) It works great!

The following photos show the steps that I use when milling my soap.

These are the blocks of basic soap......


Photo on top (below text) is me grating the basic soap............Photo on bottom is the grated soap with the milk added. You put it over very low heat and stir occasionally until the soap is nicely melted together. If you stir too much the soap will be full of little bubbles....not a big deal, but not what you want.
After the soap is melted nicely, you add your additives (scents or otherwise) then pour into a mold. I use a plastic shoe box type thingy. Then put the mold in the freezer for a couple hours and then pop the soap out onto butcher paper. Then cut into bars and let dry. That's all there is to it!

(Above) Top photo is the uncut block of milled soap. This batch has the milk, cornmeal, and lemongrass scent. Bottom is the cut bars of soap. These are ready to use now, but waiting until they are fully dry will make them last longer.
Well gotta go finish up supper!
Til next time............GOD BLESS FROM GOODWIFE FARM!






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!