Friday, October 30, 2009

Goodwife Farm's Almost Apple Turnovers..........

Ok, so I love food. Yes I know that's obvious or I wouldn't be overweight, but I mean I really love food. I lay in bed at night thinking about new recipes that I can concoct. This one has been brewing in my peabrain for several days. So today I whipped it up. For your consideration.......a Goodwife Farm original!

Goodwife Farm's Almost Apple Turnover (2 WW points per turnover, 5 points for two)

Dough

•1 1/4 cups warm water
•1 TBSP canola oil
•1 tsp salt
•2 tsp brown sugar
•2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
•1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
•1 1/2 tsp yeast
Add all of this to a bread machine in the order given. Set to dough cycle. When there are about 10 minutes remaining do this.....

Filling

•4 small apples, cored and diced but not peeled
•1/2 cup brown sugar
•2 tsp ground cinnamon
•1 tbsp all purpose flour
Toss together in large bowl until well mixed and coated. Set aside

Remove dough from bread machine. Divide into two equal balls. Set one ball aside. Cut other ball in half, then cut each half into 4 equal pieces, giving you a total of 8 little balls. Flatten each ball into a round and roll thin, turning as you go to keep the round shape. You want this to be a little thinner than a ruler. Now add 1 heaping tablespoon of apple mixture to the round and fold over, pressing edge with a moistened fork to seal. Place on sprayed cookie sheet. Now do the same with the rest of the balls. When you have all of those done, do the same with the other ball of dough, until you have 16 turnovers. Bake at 400* for 15 - 20 minutes. These are delicious whether hot out of the oven or cold on the counter. I should know cause I ate one both ways ;) These also have the kid seal of approval from my daughter!

I should mention that these aren't flaky like a real turnover because the only way that you can get that is by adding yummy butter or lard, and of course that adds fat. Let me know if you try it and like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!