Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Week 13

I'm up 1.6 lbs this morning but it's ok. Fluctuations in our weight are normal and routine and to be expected. The key is to not let the scale sabotage you, and I refuse to allow that to happen!

Last year around this exact time, I leaned over to close my dishwasher door and something went haywire in my lower back. I couldn't straighten up and was in lots of pain. I went to the chiropractor and got adjusted, and she took me off work for 2 weeks. I had to go see her 3 days a week. In the progress of this, I got a stomach virus and was throwing up. When I throw up, I throw up and I managed to separate the cartilage between two of my ribs. This hurts........this really really hurts. They thought I had broken a rib, but I hadn't. So anyway to make a long story longer, my full recovery from this took about 6 months! I've been working out for the last 3 months, lifting weights, walking, jogging and the elliptical with no problems whatsoever. Until Saturday..........during the final part of my workout I felt that little twinge and that was all she wrote. I could barely walk. I began icing it and taking ibuprofen. Saturday was pretty awful, Sunday was better but I had to skip my workout. Monday is my normal day off working out and it was quite a bit better. Still sore, but not too bad. I kept icing it and taking the ibuprofen. Today it's just the tiniest bit sore and I'm going to try a small workout. Trying to decide between the elliptical and just walking on the treadmill. Probably the elliptical as it will be kinder and less jolting.

This scared me.........really scared me! Wow, I was thinking "Oh no!! What if I can't workout!!" It amazes me how much this made me want to eat. I mean really eat! I was hurting, I was scared, and I was down and that made my demon say...."Hey kid, a giant bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy will make you feel sooo much better" He's a bit fat freakin LIAR my demon! I'm proud of myself because I didn't cave in. I didn't drown my back pain and my fears in food, but boy did I want to. My husband is a former smoker (been smoke free for 12 years) I asked him if he ever just out of the blue wanted a cigarette, even though he now thinks it stinks and is very nasty, in moments of stress did he think, "Boy I'd like to have a smoke!" He said yes.......once in awhile he did, so I assume that my compulsion to eat during stress will never go away. That's why I've got to be ever vigilant and squash those compulsions like a slimy worm when they crop up! That's why I love you all and I love blogging. You are helping me squash the worms in my life! :)

Till next time...........I'm unTHICKINandsoTHINNIN!

1 comment:

  1. i think i know your demon. he is always bringing up mashed potatoes. its like all he can talk about. i hate that guy!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!