Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cookin' with The Youngun..............

First I'd like to say Welcome to my new followers!  It's always a joy to meet new folks!  And I of course always love my "old" followers!

Today at Goodwife Farm we are Cookin' with The Youngun....................

So without further ado, or even further doo doo, let me present...............


The Youngun.............


The Goodwife................


The Cookbook................

What's that?  You want me to cut the carp and just get on with it??  Really?  Ok, ok, I'll just get on with it...............

Aren't these the loveliest of illustrations??

Hahahaha, did you really think I was capable of just gettin' on with it???  You know the Goodwife better than that! 

Anywho, as some of you may or may not know, The Youngun loves the Redwall series of books by that delightful Englishman Mr. Brian Jacques.  She particularly loves the descriptions of the feasts that those wunnerful creatures of Redwall Abbey are always having, so when I found The Redwall Cookbook on Amazon, I bought it for her for Christmas.  So.........yesterday she chose a recipe and today she (with a little guidance and help from Mama) is going to make it!

Now we'll dispense with the doo doo and get on with things, but you know how much I love takin' the long way 'round the trailer park......

First, the recipe.....


Shrimp and Hotroot Soup

  • 2 TBS butter
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 medium leeks, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock (we are using pork stock cuz that's what I've got in the freezer)
  • 3 medium potatoes, chopped
  • 1 tsp curry powder or chili powder, or to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 oz peeled, cooked shrimp or prawns
  • 1 cup milk
In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.  Add onion and leeks and cook, stirring, til soft but not brown.
Add stock, potatoes, and spices.  Cover and simmer until potatoes are very soft, 15-20 minutes.
Add shrimp and milk and gently heat.  Serve with crusty bread. 






Crusty Whole Wheat Herb Bread
adapted from a food.com recipe
  • 1 1/4 cups water (105-115 deg.F.)
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar or 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon parsley
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • pinch of oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon wheat gluten
  • 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
Add ingredients to bread machine in order given (yes I'm a total failure as I use my bread machine for the dough cycle)  Set to dough cycle and then go begin a blog post.  When it beeps, remove dough from bread machine and knead a bit.  Shape into whatever loaf shape you desire, (we did Italian), and let raise till double.  Bake at 400* till done.

Bread ready for raising

And we are ready to eat!

This was for sure really yummy!  Tasted a lot like potato soup with shrimp and the bread was wonderful.  The Youngun is now very excited about making some more of the recipes in The Redwall Cookbook and so am I!



God Bless....................................



12 comments:

  1. Woman... You crack me up! Thank You for the afternoon laugh while I'm takin a break from my chores. Cleaned the nasty boys bathroom so I really needed to laugh after doing that! lol.

    Really cute post... its fun gettin the kids in the kitchen cookin and bakin. Good Job Youngun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee hee! Glad I could give you a laugh! I HATE cleaning The Paintiff's bathroom. I feel for you with all those men in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy lookinhg soup and bread! and the post was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohooo start em out cooking at a young age!!! She'll be a pro chef in no time momma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thats that bread thing you were talkin about. Neat! Looks like DD did a great job on her supper there. We had leftovers tonight, been a long day here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo yummy!! I may have to borrow that bread recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is SO GREAT that you and your daughter worked together cooking in the kitchen! You all must have a good relationship! Keep it up! You'll both treasure the memories, and your daughter will quite the accomplished good cook!

    Thanks for sharing the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good and it looks good too! I'll have to try it for lunch someday( Mike doesn't like shrimp, but Cortney and I do!)

    I remember when Cortney first began cooking, she was a real natural and still is. I'm very thankful for her help in cooking meals. It keeps me from getting burned out.

    The bread looks great and BTW "Love" that bread pan!

    Keeping our fingers crossed that you'll have baby goats soon.

    Blessings,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOoooooH! Thank you for the christmas gift ladies! Im going to make that bread tomorrow pronto! Young-un, you got good 'taste! :D

    (we're still making caramel popcorn over here like weekly practically - the dog follows me around every time I have a bowl lol)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Youngun you did just great -- and with the help of your crazy mama! :) Ha Ha! Wow bread..... that is wonderful.....Mmmm Mmmm anxious to hear about more recipes you try!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!