Sunday, November 29, 2009

Good Gracious!

It's been a long while since I've posted! I get caught up in my other blog Thickin and Thinnin and don't update here as much as I should!

Things are good here on the ole homestead. We just returned from a 10 day vacation to Navarre Beach Florida which was a nice relaxing time. I missed my critters, but it was nice to relax on the beach just the same. My wonderful friend Darling Deb took care of things for me here, and she did a fan-tab-u-lous job! I wasn't worried a bit and she claims that she had fun doing it. We are looking into therapy for her, don't worry ;)

The weekend before we left we butchered our meat birds. The Man and I did them together, 12 on Saturday and 14 on Sunday. I must tell you that we skinned them rather than plucked them and things went much faster. Since I'm on Weight Watchers, I don't eat the skin anyway and he doesn't care as long as I double dip his in milk/egg and flour before I fry them so he has lots of good crunchies to eat! These birds were nice! Great big ole breasts and legs! When we butcher chickens we package them up in parts. We package legs together, thighs together. We also bone the breasts because I eat alot of boneless chicken breast. The breasts on these birds were so big that I put one HALF of a breast in a package for the three of us to eat. That means out of 26 birds, I got 52 packages of boneless breast! That is awesome I do have to say!

The goats are doing well and hopefully all three of the girls are bred. My fingers are crossed for that because Naomi got bred back in July and didn't show heat again. I thought she was bred and was looking forward to December kids. Then the silly goat came into season in October!! So hopefully she is bred this time. I'm almost positive that Star is bred. She shows heat very very strongly and she hasn't come in since she was bred in late September. We plan to butcher Icing Ears within the next couple months. I'm very excited for this as I've never eaten Chevon before, but it is a very lean, healthy protein source.

Moon's litter of bunnies will be ready to butcher in a couple weeks as well. I plan to can some of this rabbit meat for quick meals such as BBQ rabbit. Mmmmmm, BBQ rabbit.......

I'm almost done quilting the baby quilt that I will be gifting to a friend who is expecting a little girl. It has really come out nicely and I'll post pictures as soon as it is complete.

Thanksgiving was wonderful. My family came here and I got to cook all day (which is what I love!) and we had a nice holiday. I enjoy Thanksgiving and it's my wish that everyone will remember to be thankful EVERY day of their lives. God is good to us, and we have only to think about our blessings rather than dwelling on the negatives!

Till next time.............GOD BLESS FROM GOODWIFE FARM!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Goodwife!
    I thought I would give you a heads up on the goat meat. It tastes a lot like pork, but if the goat is over 6-8 months old it needs to be cooked slow and low...it's texture will be much like venison.

    I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!