Saturday, June 13, 2009

Found my egg thief!!

I usually get 16 eggs a day from my hens. It seldom every varies, it's pretty much exactly 16 eggs a day. Early this week, I was only getting 10 or less! Because the hens free range, I figured they had just found a few new places to lay and we were having an egg hunt every evening to no avail. I went down to milk on Wednesday evening and proceeded to gather my eggs as usual. When I opened the "kid" box (this is the kidding box that is in the kidding stall, a favorite place for my hens to lay, and incidentally the same place that the skunk was lounging around stealing my eggs!) I saw a really big black snake curled up in there with several suspiciously egg shaped bumps in his fat body! I do not "do" snakes! Scared the dickens outta me! I dropped the lid to the kid box and hot footed it for the door, said "HONEY!! I NEED YOU!" He just happened to be right there bless him and said "Ya got a snake?" I said "Yessir I do!" Of course he went over and rescued me from the beastie. And yes we killed it. If they stay in the timber they are fine by me, but when the are lying in wait scooping up my eggs, they gotta go! It was over 5 1/2 feet long and so full of my eggs that when Daddy P killed it, yolk was leaking out of it's mouth! I'm pretty sure this is the same snake that was draped over the walls of one of my horse stalls last fall.

Till next time.........GOD BLESS FROM GOODWIFE FARM!

1 comment:

  1. Great post... I would have yelled for my honey too. I dont do snakes either!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!