Monday, November 24, 2014

Our First Taste of Quail.........


So when The Man bought his quail, he wound up with 4 females and 10 males.....that's a little too testosterone heavy, so he butchered 5 of them and we made our first meal of them last night.

We went from this......


To this......


I seasoned them with some seasoned salt and then browned them in a little bacon grease....


Then I took them out and let them rest on a plate while I sauteed some diced onion and mushrooms in the same pan.....


Then I put the browned quail on top of the bed of sauteed mushrooms and onions in a Pyrex dish and laid 3 strips of home grown, fresh bacon on top, added about a cup of home canned chicken stock, covered it with the lid, and put it in a 350* oven.....

And this is what we wound up with!  We had quail, baked red potatoes, and sauteed turnip greens and kale.....



How was it you ask?  

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The quail were definitely a wonderful addition to our homestead food plans!

I am once again, so thankful to our Heavenly Father who provides all our needs in His time!

For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving. For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
1 Timothy 4:4-5 



6 comments:

  1. That looks WONDERFUL! We are considering adding quail or squabbing pigeons to our homestead, here in the next year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was truly delicious! I say for sure go for the quail or pigeon. They were a economical investment with I think a good return!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, you've got my mouth watering and it's not even 6 o'clock in the morning here yet. Seems like they'd be harder to eviscerate than chickens(?) because they are smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh! Actually my husband said they were far easier than a chicken. They skin very quickly and easily. Then you cut the wings off and discard them. Then you cut the leg quarters off. Then you pull the breasts out cut the ribs off. The innards stay attached to the back and then you just discard them as well. The next time we process some quail, we will get some good pictures.

      Delete
  3. Your supper looks wonderful. You all amaze me with all that you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks good. I haven't had quail since I was a little kid.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!