Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars.............

The other day, before the Great Escape  The Youngun requested some chocolate chip cookies.  Since I always like to experiment and invent new recipes, I decided to make up these bar cookies.  They were really good, and passed The Youngun test, and even harder, they passed The Man test.  The Man isn't much on sweets, except for ice cream, and he requested a couple of these bars heated up then topped with ice cream.  When I asked him how he liked them, I got The Nod, indicating they were good!  So, without further Ahh Doo, here ya go!

Beat butter and sugar til light.......


Add eggs and vanilla and beat well........


Then add in flours, soda, and salt. Mix well. Stir in oatmeal and chocolate chips mixing well.  This is a pretty "dry" dough.
(I didn't get a picture of this part, cuz I was on the phone with that darn sister of mine again!)

Press into 9x13 or similar sized pan.  This one is a bit smaller than that, and bake at 350* till center is JUST set.  Don't over bake these, and once again, you know the Goodwife doesn't time anything, so I've got no clue how long they baked...........
 

Looks good no???


Goodwife's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
  • 1 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 pkg chocolate chips (I use semi sweet)
Beat butter and sugars til light.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.  Add flours, soda, and salt, and mix well.  Stir in oatmeal and chocolate chips til combined.  Press into 9x13 or similar sized pan (bigger makes thinner bars, littler makes thicker) and bake at 350* til center is JUST set.  Enjoy!


God Bless......................



15 comments:

  1. oOo! This is something I could actually try! (and not screw up too badly!) I'm thinking they'd make a good Preschooler snack but I may have to just make them oatmeal b/c I dunno all their little food allergies (b/c you know we're allergic to EVERYTHING! ;})

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I'm figuring mine out I think.........I may just beat these hives yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make an oatmeal/almond/raisinette cookie that my teenaged daughter and hubby rave about. I may have to try the bar form that you describe. Would be a lot easier than standing there putting scoops on the cookie sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You people that are allergic to everything have you tried Spelt Flour?? Its a little softer dough than regular unbleached flour but may work in something like this.
    I have to say I have noticed a difference in our general health with not buying so many differnet bread products.. Like Tortillas and limiting sliced store bought bread. I make any rolls,flat breads/tortillas and other bread we need.
    Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are better than me... I have to set a timer or I forget about them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya know I'm gonna have to make these! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ruth, thanks for commenting. Yup, that's exactly why I did these in bar form. Also because it's a dryer dough and I wasn't sure how well they would stay together while baking.

    Tonia, I've never tried spelt flour. I'm pretty sure, since they told me what I'm allergic to, that I know what is causing my hives now.

    Nicole.....I'll tell you what I tell The Youngun, you gotta learn to "listen" to your nose. Your nose will tell you when anything you are cooking/baking is done if you just learn to listen to it!

    Jennifer, they are pretty good! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok.. just made 'em.. they are SO GOOD! will be a recipe that i keep for sure! THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yaaaay! I'm so glad you liked them!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pictures are making my tummy rumble! Tasty looking treats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want you either as my sister or my friendly neighbor or both...so you can make me cookies and talk me through my bread failures... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lara Katherine and fernvalley!

    @gowestferalwoman.....sure! I'd love to be either. Got my homestead in Montana all picked out for me??

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I might have to try my baking hand at that! I love chocolate & oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gonna give these a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to comment, I love to hear from folks and I will do my absolute very best to comment back or answer any questions!